Saturday, October 24, 2009

tragic story with happy ending


Here is Regina Pessoa's amazing "História Trágica Com Final Feliz" (2005). It tells the story of a young girl who doesn't fit in the small town life because she is different from everybody else: She has a tiny heart, which has to beat a lot louder than anyone else's. Unfortunatelly, it beats so loud that it disturbs everyone else.


The sound design is amazing, the animation style is powerful and reminds me of Caroline Leaf. The film has won many prizes, notably The Annecy Cristal Award International Animated Film Festival in 2006. I especially like the part at the end, where the credits appear and fragments of the empty life of the townspeople is illustrated. The story is not as powerful without that.

For the English version click here (I think that the Portuguese version sounds better, though). Visit the short film's site here. Visit the website of the National Film Board of Canada, where you can also purchase the DVD and find interviews with the artist, wallpapers and other goodies.

2 comments:

ecila said...

One of my favourites, beautiful!! Do you understand the verbal narrative?

jellyfish said...

I do, because I have seen the English version, as well. I think, however, Portuguese is more melodious and since the artist is Portuguese herself, I thought it's the best version ;)