Saturday, May 8, 2010

alice in wonderland - review



I've recently seen Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland in 3D and I have to say that I am deeply dissapointed.

There is little doubt nowadays that the 3D visuals are an enriching experience to any fantasy film. And even though I am both a huge Tim Burton and Alice fan, I was immensely let down by this film. The narrative was poor, the visuals mediocre (although a quite good character and set design) and all in all, I think that whoever knows and loves Lewis Carroll's "Alice" would have a hard time finding that character in Tim Burton's adaptation.

Although this movie was not mainly intended for a very young audience, throughout the time while I was watching it, my thoughts kept sending me back to Wolfgang Petersen's "Neverending Story". I kept wondering when they would make a 3D release of that fantastic tale. On second thought, you know what? Forget about the 3D. Somehow, movies back then had a whole lot more heart:

3 comments:

ntozei said...

Am I late to comment? A couple of friends of mine watched Alice of Tim Burton and had the same impression as you. And it's like the same comments I saw about the Avatar movie. I mean, they focused so much on the visual aspects that forgot about the history. Of course, I know lots of people that loved the movie as well. But I'm afraid being disappointed too.

jellyfish said...

Not late at all! Ntozei, I think you should watch it. The character design, costumes and setting alone are worth it! And then, maybe it will leave a totally different impression on you!

As for the 3D visuals: I am not generally against it. I think Avatar was actually amazing (it IS technically stunning: good CG is not unheard of, however Avatar managed to blend it perfectly with the reality, which is indeed a rare achievement). In the case of AIW however, I thought that 3D did not make much of a difference...IMO, not every new movie/cartoon released has to be in 3D...

jellyfish said...

oops, sorry had smth wrong here. the reason why it blended so well, is bc it was motion capture/live camera, not CG :)