Friday, May 28, 2010

alphabet



overheard today on the tram: kid and his dad talk about outlaws, the wild west and cowboys. Suddenly the kid asks: "So, what's your favourite letter?". Almost instantly came the puzzled "Heingh?!" from his father (at this point my face light up in a huge smile and I looked to the other side, so they couldn't see that I was entertained). "Your favourite letter?" the kid replied ignoring his father's confusion. Dad answered promptly: "B". "Mine is 'H'. And your least favourite letter?". "A", the father answered. "Mine is "S", the child continued and when his father asked him why, he said: "You know, I hate this 'sssssssss' (he meant the sound).

Unfortunatelly I didn't get all the arguments for liking "H" but I walked home in a great mood afterwards. It is only a child's mind who can come up with this question. And only a child's mind who can come up with actual letters and reasons for liking/disliking them (the father's answers were "A" and "B" - booooring!).

So what's your favourite letter? Mine is "K". Reasons: Because it's half of "O.K." and because it makes a pretty damn cool undercover agent code name.

5 comments:

ntozei said...

Oh, I loved the talk. It's one of those beauties of simplicity. When I was a child, I loved the L, because it was so well hand written by some friends with name starting with L. Today I don't know... I tend to like the V, maybe because I see it a lot associated with the vegetarianism.

ntozei said...

Oh, I loved the talk. It's one of those beauties of simplicity. When I was a child, I loved the L, because it was so well hand written by some friends with name starting with L. Today I don't know... I tend to like the V, maybe because I see it a lot associated with the vegetarianism.

jellyfish said...

@Ntozei oh yes, I remember I like to write the "L" as well! Haha

ecila said...

So precious :) Everyone knows my favourite letter is "i" (ok, everyone is my mother and maybe one friend he he). It all started when I was a child and would end every word with a "i". It all sounded i i i i . The sound is so tinkly and peter pan magic, I almost hear bells.
My second favourite is the V because now I am an adult and see the V related to my favourite movies and series. V is now for political awareness...boring ha ha ;-)

jellyfish said...

@Ecila, that is so sweet, i have to imagine a kid ending all words with an "i", lovely. Also, did not think of "V" that way before, but it sure makes sense now, haha!

I really love the comments on this: another girl told me her favourite letter was "B", she has lived in places starting with that letter!