Friday, September 11, 2009

inglourious basterds


Brilliant! One of the best I've seen this year!

Tarantino depicts everything from raw, brutal violence to aesthetic beauty in the context of a grotesque revenge fantasy.

Three things impressed me most: First, the solid script and the way it kept me in suspense. The movie manages to build up immense tension over and over again and there are no superfluous moments. Second, the wonderful dialogues and subtle word-plays in three languages (employed equally often). Third, the wonderful acting by ALL actors (irrespective of their nationality)!

Opening with the phrase "once upon a time...", being made up of several chapters, using western-like dialogues and music and using flashy name labels for the appearance of some characters, this movie again (like Kill Bill) carries a heavy comic book vibe, however, without being too cartoonish.

I personally only like few of Tarantino's movies (Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown). But this one is one of my favourites and proves him to be one of the best, indeed!

Check out this site on more information on Tarantino and his movie(s).

2 comments:

Martim said...

I loved this movie, mainly because it´s a movie with footnotes in every scene, quoting both the glorious movies from the 40´s onwards and the B-series of the 60's and 70´s. So intelligent and so, so funny....

jellyfish said...

I guess hiding film references is one of his signatures :) And personally I love it. Some people say he is only a "sampler", not creating anything new. But actually, I think it is new. I mean, just the playing around with conventions, exaggerating, caricaturizing and mixing genres... I think it is interesting and new and worth watching!

I have found an interesting article on his reference to cinema, especially regarding IB:
http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/08/19/inglourious-basterds-playing-spot-the-tarantino-reference/

...to which I would add: the main act of revenge takes place in...a cinema!