Friday, September 18, 2009

coin locker babies


I came across Ryu Murakami's book "Coin Locker Babies" while I was searching for the next Haruki Murakami novel to read. The storyline itself (somewhat a cyper-punk "Bildungsroman" ) appealed to me, as I am very interested in surreal plots, coming of age stories, (Japanese) youth culture and pop art.

Ryu Murakami is one of Japan's contemporary writers, who, I believe, employs the "ero guro" and "angura" styles (two similar influences in Japanese art). These styles find their roots somewhere in the 60s and represent an original counter-culture movement, aiming to challenge the authenticity of "traditional" genres as well as the westernization that had swept across Japan since the industrial age. Murakamis tales of horror, sexual corruption, decadence and exotic violence merge with grotesque themes and features which leave the reader wondering whether or not to be offended (Caution: some scenes are quite explicit, though!). Sometimes seen as a chronicler of Japan's disaffected young Murakami has been recommended to readers with a taste for the bizarre.


I agree, that the book was written in a very fast-paced and graphical way, in the sense, that the reader might even have the impression of watching a movie. But I think, this is one of its major appeals (at least to me). I also didn't find it as violent and distressing as his first book ("Almost Transparent Blue"), and I think that in this case the dark features manage to cross the fine line from disturbing to intriguing. Moreover, the book's worth has to be seen in the context of Japanese history and culture. So, if you are acquainted with Japanese art or if you like bizarre or futuristic storylines and do not fear unconventionality, then this book might be the right thing for you.

Note: The movie is in preparation, possibly starring Val Kilmer, Asia Argento and Tadanobu Asano. But I fear, a movie might end up ruining the book's charm for everyone who hasn't read it yet...And they should at least have had the chance to get to know it, before watching Sean Lennon's ostensibly pretentious adaptation. And if there needs to be a movie, I would have loved to see Takashi Miike's project succeed (since he also adapted Murakami's "Audition").

0 comments: