Thursday, September 24, 2009

the most intelligent person in the world


It is said that Queen Victoria, when asked whether she prefered Disraeli or Gladstone as a prime-minister, she would have answered: "It is very difficult for me to decide. When I talk to Gladstone, I am convinced that he is the most intelligent person in the world. When I talk to Disraeli, I am convinced that I am the most intelligent person in the world." It seems, that the great Queen was never able to finally make up her mind, because, several times, she appointed both political rivals successively as head of cabinet.


I have read this paragraph in a Romanian newspaper in 2008, when the editorial was dedicated to Andrei Pleşu (Romanian philosopher, essayist, journalist, art critic, and politician), as he turned 60. The author, Sever Voinescu continues: "I cannot help thinking that unfortunately Queen Victoria never had the chance of having dinner with Andrei Pleşu. He is Gladstone and Disraeli at the same time. When having dinner with him, he leaves no doubt that you talk to the most intelligent person in the world, who makes you feel like the most intelligent person in the world." I realized that it was the most amazing compliment that I had heard up until then: being intelligent and charismatic at the same time. And I have promised myself that I would at least give my best in order to achieve this ideal. But how?


I believe that chosing the appropriate environment in which to learn and grow might not be an easy thing to do, but it sure does deliver good mentors and examples, which represent a major factor in molding our character. Interestingly, I have discovered that I already know at least two persons like this in my own entourage. One of them is a very dear friend of mine. I was thinking about her and was trying to describe in words what makes her special, when the story about Queen Victoria came to my mind and I started looking for that editorial on the internet to find it again. My friend is undoubtedly very intelligent. In addition, however, she is also capable of making one feel extremely comfortable and at ease. I admire her for that ability of making people feel that they are being taken seriously, of unbiased and nonjudgemental attitude towards them, their ideas and opinions. I don't know about others, but I think, this is true charisma and one of the most difficult things to achieve.


Whether I will be able to learn from my friend, is yet to be seen. All I know for now is that I absolutely agree with Voinescu when he closes his article with the words: "She may have reigned over the vastest kingdom in world's history, but Queen Victoria was not as lucky as I am".


0 comments: